Chicken broth was the very first thing I made my little Zoey when I started her baby food prep. I was given the idea by a family friend to make this broth from scratch, instead of just using water. I’m sharing a fairly basic and easy recipe with you, but feel free to add any other ingredients that you think would be super tasty for your little one.
I opted for the President’s Choice Free From Chicken Drumsticks, which are free from the use of antibiotics and hormones; the cost is around $5 for 5 drumsticks. It may sound pricey, but in this case makes perfect sense as I use 1 drumstick per batch; therefore a one pack purchase lasts me a little over a month.
Serves: 1 Week Worth of Prep
- Chicken Drum Sticks (I recommend the President's Choice Free From, but feel free to use what you think is best)
- Salt (Optional)
- Oregano (optional)
- Cut celery and carrots into chunks, like the ones in the recipe image.
- Fill a pot, approximate 2L in size, with water and add chicken.
- Add veggies to pot.
- Add a tiny bit of salt and oregano for a little flavour, if you want!**
- Bring to a boil. Once the broth has reached a boil, bring down to a simmer and let it get tasty for about 45 mins.
- Ensure the chicken is fully cooked after 45 mins. If so, turn the stove off and let the broth cool.
- After the broth has cooled, you can add it to the ingredients you plan to make the baby food with. You can use the chicken (remove it from the bone first!), the celery and carrots by adding them to the mix.
I hope you and your wee one enjoy my chicken broth recipe! In my opinion, it’s an easy and healthy way to add protein to your baby’s diet. In the near future, I’ll be sharing plenty of baby food recipes I have made for my little one. Visit my blog for more recipes and tips for delicious blends that your baby will love!